The best squeaky dog toy
Which squeaky dog toy is the best?
Dogs love squeaky toys because they are interactive and designed to simulate prey. These noisy toys trigger an instinctive response in your dog that makes playtime endlessly satisfying, as if they were hunting alongside their wild ancestors.
If you want a happy pet, look for a squeaky toy that’s both durable and has interactive features. The Outward Hound Hide-A-Squirrel Puzzle Toy is the top pick because it’s whimsical, squeaky, and features a fun puzzle that will keep your dog busy for hours.
What to know before buying a squeaky dog toy
Types of squeaky toys
There are many types of squeaky toys and every dog likes something a little different. For a more comprehensive list of general dog toy categories, check out BestReviews’ comprehensive dog toy buying guide.
- Plush sound toys: These soft, squeaky toys usually have cute shapes or are designed to look like animals. While not always particularly durable, plush squeakers are popular with dogs of all sizes and ages.
- Balls and chew toys: These squeaky toys are usually made from a hard plastic material like nylon and are durable enough to withstand regular gnawing. They’re great for dogs that like to chew things compulsively, and many of these toys double as balls that can be thrown around if your dog likes to play fetch.
- Puzzle toys: A great way to stimulate your dog’s brain, puzzle toys often include squeakers and are great for pets that get bored easily. These toys usually incorporate some type of reward into their design, such as a treat or stuffed toy.
Tips for squeaky toys
- Many dogs will chew on stuffed toys trying to get to the source of the squeaky sound. If this happens, be prepared to retrieve the plastic squeaker or your pet may swallow it.
- Store dog toys when not in use and only retrieve them when your dog wants to play. This will give your pet new excitement every time their toys reappear.
- If your pet is able to chew hard plastic, make sure there are no sharp bits left. Shredded pieces of plastic can cut your dog’s mouth without him noticing.
- If your dog spends much of the day alone, consider a durable puzzle or squeaker toy that will keep his brain active when you’re not around.
What to Look for in a Quality Squeaker Toy for Dogs
Durability is perhaps the most important thing to look for in a squeaky toy. Most dogs have extremely powerful jaws, so choose a reputable manufacturer that makes durable construction a priority in their products. Details like double stitching and puncture-proof squeakers are good indicators of a squeaky toy’s durability.
Squeaky toys are meant to spend a lot of time in your dog’s mouth, so safety is key. Look for a reputable brand that uses safe materials such as food-grade and BPA-free plastic, and avoid anything with small parts your pet can swallow.
Look for a squeaky toy in the appropriate size for your pet. If the toy is too small, it may pose a choking hazard; if it’s too big, your dog might have trouble playing with it. Choose a balanced toy that’s small enough for your dog to carry, but large enough to support his jaws.
How much you can expect to spend on a squeaky dog toy
Expect to pay $3 to $30 for a squeaky dog toy. Keep in mind that cheaper dog toys are generally less durable and may need to be replaced more often.
Squeaky Dog Toy FAQ
Can squeaky toys be washed?
A. Most durable squeaky toys can be added to a regular laundry load with no problem. Just be sure to use cold or lukewarm water, as hot water can damage the squeaky part of the toy.
What should I do if my dog swallows the squeaker?
A. Call your veterinarian immediately. Although there is a chance your dog will pass the part without a problem, you should consult a professional to make sure there is no obstruction.
What is the best squeaky dog toy?
Top squeaky dog toy
Outward Hound Hide-A-Squirrel Puzzle Toy
What do you want to know: This popular dog toy features an elaborate and interactive puzzle to keep your dog entertained.
What you will love: The plush log toy includes six squeaky squirrels that can be hidden and discovered by your pet. The squirrels can then be tossed around for fetch play, while the log itself doubles as a tug toy.
What you should consider: Parts of the toy could be destroyed by a determined chewer.
Or buy: Sold by Amazon
The best value for money
Squeaky Ball Medium Rodent
What do you want to know: This economical squeaker ball is great for playing fetch but durable enough to withstand lots of chews.
What you will love: This affordable squeaker toy is made from BPA-free food-grade plastic, and the spikes around the ball are designed to massage your dog’s gums. Users say the ball is very durable for the price.
What you should consider: The squeaker is very loud, which is fun for the dog, but unpleasant for some pet owners.
Or buy: Sold by Amazon
ZippyPaws Skinny Peltz
What do you want to know: These popular squeaky toys have no stuffing and double as a tug toy.
What you will love: These squeaky toys come in two sizes and are designed to look like three adorable woodland creatures: a fox, a raccoon and a squirrel. Each toy contains three squeakers and no messy stuffing.
What you should consider: Several users have reported that their dogs were able to pull off the squeakers fairly quickly.
Or buy: Sold by Amazon
Do you want to buy the best products at the best prices? Check out the daily deals from BestReviews.
Sign up here to receive the weekly BestReviews newsletter for helpful tips on new products and great deals.
Patrick Farmer writes for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their buying decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2022 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.