Mom’s warning as schoolgirl loses part of her intestines after swallowing toy magnets that “burned through internal organs”

A mother calls for a ban on toy magnets after her daughter underwent emergency surgery to remove part of her intestines because the bullets began to “burn the organs” after swallowing them.

Jane Bailey became concerned when her daughter Melody’s alleged stomach problem did not go away after a few days and her pain seemed to gradually worsen.

Four days later and in “agony”, the six-year-old finally admitted that she had swallowed four kinetic bullets when asked if she had put anything in her mouth.

Jane took her daughter urgently to A&E and a few hours later had emergency surgery to remove the tiny magnets from the toy and part of her gut as they had burned her from their attraction one for the other.

The 30-year-old mom, who works as an assistant for people with learning disabilities, has now shared images of Melody in the hospital for her operation on July 15, to raise awareness of the dangers of toy magnets.

Jane, from Preston, Lancashire, said: “She had a stomach ache so I gave her Calpol.

“The next two mornings she insisted that she still wanted to go to school, but on the second day they called me to say ‘you’re going to have to come and get her because she’s sick’ .

“I just attributed it to a stomach problem, but she kept getting sick and the pain gradually got worse until she was in agony.



PICTURE FROM Kennedy News and Media (PHOTO: MELODY BAILEY, SIX, TRANSFERRED TO MANCHESTER CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL VIA AMBULANCE FOR EMERGENCY SURGERY TO REMOVE MAGNETS SHE SWALLOWED) from her bowel because the balls started to “burn the organs” after swallowing them. Jane Bailey, from Preston, Lancashire, became concerned when her daughter Melody’s alleged stomach problem did not go away after a few days and her pain seemed to ‘gradually get worse’. Four days later and in “agony”, the six-year-old finally admitted that she had swallowed four kinetic bullets when asked if she had put anything in her mouth. DISCLAIMER: While Kennedy News and Media does its best to establish the copyright and authenticity of all images provided, it accepts no responsibility for any damage, loss or legal action caused by the use of the images provided and the publication of the images is solely at your expense. discretion. SEE KENNEDY NEWS COPY – 0161 697 4266

“It went on for several days, so I started to think that it surely wasn’t just a disease virus because it usually only lasts 24 hours.

“I asked her if she had put anything in her mouth and finally she said she had eaten four magnetic scoops.

“I was panicking. I had already read about how it can burn organs because they were attracted to each other, so I was just thinking of the worst case scenario.

“It was a mad rush from that point on – she was sick in my car on the way to A&E and when we got to the hospital she was screaming in pain, it was horrible.

“At first they were talking about keeping her inside and seeing if they walked through her or not, but the next minute they said she was going to have emergency surgery.”

Jane transported little Melody to Royal Preston Hospital on the evening of Wednesday, July 14, where an x-ray confirmed the four magnetic balls were in her gut.



PICTURE FROM Kennedy News and Media (PICTURED: MAGNETIC BALLS TOYS MELODY BAILEY, SIX, SWALLOWED FOUR OF AND HAD EMERGENCY SURGERY TO BE DELETED) Mum calls for toy magnets to be banned after daughter suffered emergency surgery to remove some of them gut because the bullets started to “burn the organs” after swallowing them. Jane Bailey, from Preston, Lancashire, became concerned when her daughter Melody’s alleged stomach problem did not go away after a few days and her pain seemed to ‘gradually get worse’. Four days later and in “agony”, the six-year-old finally admitted that she had swallowed four kinetic bullets when asked if she had put anything in her mouth. DISCLAIMER: While Kennedy News and Media does its best to establish the copyright and authenticity of all images provided, it accepts no responsibility for any damage, loss or legal action caused by the use of the images provided and the publication of the images is solely at your expense. discretion. SEE KENNEDY NEWS COPY – 0161 697 4266

Doctors initially hoped that the mini-magnets could pass without needing to be surgically removed.

But they had already punctured Melody’s intestine in several places, forcing them to transfer her to Manchester Children’s Hospital for emergency surgery to remove them before they caused further damage to her. internal organs.

Fortunately, after nearly six hours of surgery, in the early hours of Thursday, July 15, the balls and six inches of Melody’s damaged bowel were removed, and other punctures were successfully stitched up.

The mum-of-two was stunned by the whole ordeal, hearing about what was happening to other children before and warning Melody and her older sister Lucia Bailey, eleven.

But she says the pair were swayed by a social media trend to put the magnetic balls in their mouths as fake tongue and lip piercings, which led to Melody swallowing some.

Jane said: “It was just horrible to see her suffer so much for so long because she’s a pretty tough cookie and doesn’t cry a lot, so when I saw her like that I thought that it must be bad.

“I had read stories about it before and told them not to put it in your mouth because it can burn your organs and that’s exactly what happened.

But Melody said ‘I saw Lucia do it’ – they do it on social media where they claim to have tongue or lip piercings and that’s how they end up getting swallowed.

“The doctors said Melody was really lucky because sometimes they can end up with ostomies or have all of their bowels removed or it can even be life threatening.

“It was a huge relief to know that they were out and she was going to be fine.”

After a week of convalescing in the hospital after her operation, Melody was “lucky” to walk away with only a five inch scar on her stomach and no lifelong health implications.

Her mother is now warning other parents to throw out the magnetic balls, as she did, after the surgeon informed her of the frequency of the life-threatening accident.



PICTURE FROM Kennedy News and Media (PHOTO: JANE BAILEY, 30, FROM PRESTON, LANCASHIRE, WITH DAUGHTERS MELODY BAILEY, SIX, AND LUCIA BAILEY, ELEVEN) Mum calls for toy magnets to be banned after daughter suffered a emergency surgery to remove part of his intestines because the bullets started to “burn the organs” after he swallowed them. Jane Bailey, from Preston, Lancashire, became concerned when her daughter Melody’s alleged stomach problem did not go away after a few days and her pain seemed to ‘gradually get worse’. Four days later and in “agony”, the six-year-old finally admitted that she had swallowed four kinetic bullets when asked if she had put anything in her mouth. DISCLAIMER: While Kennedy News and Media does its best to establish the copyright and authenticity of all images provided, it accepts no responsibility for any damage, loss or legal action caused by the use of the images provided and the publication of the images is solely at your expense. discretion. SEE KENNEDY NEWS COPY – 0161 697 4266

Jane said: “The surgeon said you would be surprised how often this happens – there was a little boy upstairs recovering from the same operation.

“She said it happened at least once or twice a day and I just thought, how are they still selling them!

“They had some of the magnetic balls in my house, but since then I’ve obviously thrown them all away.

“I would advise parents not to buy them – they might seem like a fun little gadget, but it’s not worth the risk because it was a terrifying experience.

“It’s fair enough if they want to produce these things, but to advertise it as a children’s toy, I think it’s disgusting because they’re far from it. I absolutely think they should be banned as a toy.”

For more stories of where you live, visit InYourZone.


Source link

Comments are closed.