Lego Technic: The Evolution of the Small Car – News

0


Dubai – The toy car has evolved into many avatars, especially as educational DIY tools for young and old alike.



By George Kuruvilla

Posted: Wed, Jun 30, 2021, 7:30 PM

Last update: Wed, Jun 30, 2021, 7:38 PM

From a young age, even before taking our adult forms, we have always been drivers. Our toddler’s little numbers grabbed hold of these plastic miniature cars and made them up and down furniture and even our parent’s limbs. Some of us also used to take these wheeled miniatures apart; and when we put them back together, a lot of times we ended up with more parts to sell. And these pieces have either been tucked between the cushions or, on rare occasions, have been ingested by a friend or a pet.

But as children reach their teens or even adulthood, much like we have, their fascination with small cars is also changing. They don’t just want something that crawls on all fours, but something that fuels their creativity and puts their logical thinking and building skills to the test. The largest LEGO construction toy maker and its Technic collection are appropriating this space in the toy industry for STEM-oriented play.

What is LEGO Technic?

The LEGO Technic is a huge collection of DIY sets that allow even the little ones to tinker with their tools. These are not your ordinary LEGO sets that only contain blocks to build a wall or a house. These are often models with intricate details that often come with real mechanical devices, such as pulleys, lights, working suspension and motors. And once assembled, you end up with something as “simple” as a 227-piece race truck with recoil drive; or a 4,108-piece working model of a Liebherr R 9800 excavator, equipped with two advanced Smart Hubs and seven motors that allow the super structure to be rotated and the boom and bucket to be operated via the convenience of the app. Technic Control +. Something like the latter that could take hours to build isn’t just a toy, it’s a fun summer vacation activity.

But of course we’re focused on automobiles and I’m happy to say that the Technic collection includes a whole roster of vehicles ranging from those with exciting but generic sounding titles like 4X4 X-treme Off-Roader to stylish replicas. Lego. for real production vehicles like the Lamborghini Sián FKP 37, Land Rover Defender, Ducati Panigale V4 R and even Dom’s Dodge Charger from the Fast and Furious series. Each responds to a different age group, complexity, and price point.

Think about it, build it!

To prove the versatility of the Technic collection and that they can do anything with it, the Danish factory boffins built a full-size 1: 1 scale Bugatti Chiron (also available in a smaller size in the Technic collection). This incredible feat of ingenuity and perseverance required a total of 1,000,000 Technic elements and approximately 13,438 hours of work. What was appreciable was that 90 percent of the replica was built from Technic elements; the remaining 10 percent is probably the wheels, tires and other stressors. The icing on the cake, however, was that it wasn’t just a centerpiece, it could be driven as well. And in order to give it the propulsive power, the full-size toy was fitted with 2,304 LEGO Technic Power Function motors which together produce a rather commendable torque of 92 Nm and 5.3 horsepower, allowing it to reach a terminal speed of 20 km / h. And to test its handling, they even had Andy Wallace drive it, the guy who tested the real Chiron during its development phase. The other challenge they faced was matching the curvaceous body style of the current Chiron for which the designers on board used triangular combination elements which provided them with this structural flexibility. And you know that kind of information is gaining ground, thanks to the millions of views the related videos have garnered just from the LEGO YouTube channel.

The moral of the story is that if you have a set of LEGO blocks and are ready to build, LEGO can assure you that you can make your dreams come true.

An ode to Dubai, LEGO style!

Earlier this year, adding to Dubai’s exciting flow of events, the LEGO-centric ‘Drive What You Love’ exhibit was held from March 28 to April 10 at Atrium Seven at d3. Spectacular images of seemingly life-size LEGO Technic creations were on display, layered against the backdrop of many of Dubai’s iconic locations. Polish photographer Tomek Makolski was commissioned to seamlessly integrate such popular cars like the Jeep Wrangler, Ferrari 488 GTE, McLaren Senna GTR and Porsche 911 RSR into the Dubai cityscape.

Pay ahead!

If you’ve owned one or more LEGO Technic collections and enjoyed putting them together and taking them apart multiple times, maybe it’s time to lend these LEGO blocks to another kid or enthusiast, so that they, like you, can enjoy building their dream machines brick by brick.

[email protected]


Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.